Sunday, October 20, 2013


Witches

            Before I enrolled in this class I never made the connection between the classic story of the witch and roles of females in western societies. I think it may have to do with my lack of knowledge of witch literature. It may have to do with the fact that I only encountered witch stories as a child and never through literature.  Even after reading the crucible in high school that connection for me was not made. 

            But after reading Terry Pratchett’s  Equal Rites and having such a good class discussion about this topic, it seems glaringly obvious to me. Even the title screams about ideas of inequality and a need for change. We are raised in a world where all MEN are created equally, but what about all people? Of course every human deserves the same treatment no matter what there sex, religion, or race or anything is. But though we all no this to be true, we don’t necessarily live that way and now I believe that is part of the message a good witch tale is trying to express. 
            
            In Equal Rites a female is born thrust into the role normally held by men in the fictional society our story takes place. A woman is born and is prophesized to become a wizard, but of course everyone knows that girls can’t be wizards. As the story progresses however we start to learn that maybe she is capable of pulling through as a wizard, and even the hard-edged characters that surround her begin to believe this as well.  Granny Weatherwax is especially skeptical in the beginning but soon learns that Esk’s (the young female wizards) powers are uncontrollable and she must learn to use them properly, so they travel to the Unseen University for training. 

          This story is riddled with references to the roles of females in society and by exaggerating them with magical powers it can be examined from a different perspective. I really enjoyed reading this book and found it to be more interesting after our class discussion when I continued to read because I was able to put the symbolism and deeper meaning into perspective for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment