Thursday, December 5, 2013


Space Opera

           
I was excited for this weeks reading because I am very familiar with this genre. My dad was a huge star trek watcher when I was growing up. All generations of Star Trek were commonly on the television for most of my younger years. Star Wars was another huge staple of my childhood. The adventures of Luke Skywalker were common knowledge to me at a very young. My parents happily taught us about Star Wars when they felt we were old enough.
           
When I picked up Shards of Honor I must admit I did not know what I was in for! This romantic intergalactic tale caught me off guard at first but once I got settled into the story and began to know what to expect it went much smoother. Cordelia was a great character to follow throughout the story. Although her constant abduction was a little much, it was a great way for the author to move the plot along and allow for a swift and heroic rescue. I love a good story set in space so for that I was immediately hooked and I enjoyed this read a great deal. I was not ready for the intensity of the love story at first but all in all I had fun with this book.
           
I am not sure if Enders Game counts as a space opera but this is another futuristic series that takes place in space and throughout a planetary system. I enjoyed this book as a young boy and I kept thinking back to it as I read Shards of Honor. I know they don’t really have much in common as far as plot goes but I kept thinking back to  Orson Scott Cards books as I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment